nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice

  • From: Waite8@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:10:44 EST

In a message dated 2/15/03 6:49:35 AM, jbunker@gwi.net writes:

<< on 2/14/03 5:56 PM, Waite8@aol.com at Waite8@aol.com wrote:

It is VERY cold in Maine this weekend with temps dipping way below zero. Is
there any guideline on what temps. are too cold to do pruning? Would like to
get some in this weekend. Maybe some of the Mainers can tell me what they
are doing. Thanks. Waite Maclin, Cushing, ME.

Greetings Waite,

Friday morning it was -30 here and this morning it is -28. I've been in
Palermo 31 years and I think these are the coldest two nights in row I've
seen. Large commercial orchards in Maine generally begin pruning in early
winter because they have no other choice. Most winters I begin pruning
about now. This winter I will wait another 2 weeks or so. I've never seen
it much below zero after March 1st. I would recommend you wait until the
weather warms up. Some years I prune well into April with no adverse
effects.

Cheers >>

Thanks John. I did some of the trees last weekend and a few today before I
got your e-mail. I am going to wait till mid-March. I was anxious to get
started as I will be out of the country till then. Hope to see you soon.
Peace. Waite