nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 06:45:17 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Advice
on 2/14/03 5:56 PM, Waite8@aol.com at Waite8@aol.com wrote:

It is VERY cold in Maine this weekend with temps dipping way below zero. Is there any guideline on what temps. are too cold to do pruning? Would like to get some in this weekend. Maybe some of the Mainers can tell me what they are doing. Thanks. Waite Maclin, Cushing, ME.

Greetings Waite,

Friday morning it was -30 here and this morning it is -28. I've been in Palermo 31 years and I think these are the coldest two nights in row I've seen.  Large commercial orchards in Maine generally begin pruning in early winter because they have no other choice.  Most winters I begin pruning about now.  This winter I will wait another 2 weeks or so.  I've never seen it much below zero after March 1st.   I would recommend you wait until the weather warms up.  Some years I prune well into April with no adverse effects.

Cheers!

John Bunker
Fedco
Palermo Maine

Staying upstairs this morning...heat rises....