nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:21:21 -0500

In New York State we prune frozen vines all the time. I used to prune for a living. Most people wouldn't go out if it was below zero F, but this was because we couldn't keep ourselves warm, not because of the grapes. Canes may be more brittle in extreme cold, but a little extra care should allow for this. I don't know about temperatures a great deal below zero, though.

If you only have a few vines, though, there's some advantage to waiting till spring, as it makes it easier to judge if you should leave extra wood to compensate for a severe winter.

-- Rivka, Finger Lakes NY, zone 5 mostly