nafex - Re: [NAFEX] yellowjackets

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] yellowjackets
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:20:22 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] yellowjackets
There is a considerable variation in the aggressiveness of wasp species.  We have one here that will nest within a few feet of people and never bother a thing as long as you don't directly disturb the nest.  Others, like the ground dwelling yellowjackets, can be nasty as anything if you are within ten feet of the nest.  I don't usually like to kill any that I can avoid as the wasps almost all are carnivores and do a good job of cleaning up caterpillars, aphids, and other plant feeding species.  Once in a while a ground nest of yellowjackets is just too close for comfort and I've learned a way to deal with them.  Early in the morning, put a glass gallon jar over the opening.   Because they can see light, they don't think the way is blocked, so they don't dig a new entrance, but after a few days they starve to death since none can go out for food.
-Lon Rombough

Maybe those Yankee jackets are less agressive than our Rebel ones.  I had a
nest in my orchard a couple of times.  Once scything by hand I met them and
was covered from head to toe with painful stings.  Other times they nest in
the blueberry patch and don't take kindly to pickers who come near - same
thing in the blackberry patch.  I don't usually bother wild creatures but
have very low tolerance for yellow jackets.   Hector Black  zone 6 middle TN

   I'm sure they have their place in the scheme of things, their "niche" or
whatever, but I just don't want it close to mine.