nafex - [NAFEX] MASON BEES

  • From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland@WYOMING.com>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] MASON BEES
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:50:15 -0700

I wish I had your problem....

>They are a nuisance and plug up my Oklahoma Credit Card (siphon hose)
>every year. They prefer 20 gauge to 12 guage shotgun shell hulls but
>will not pass up a 30/06 cartridge case.
>Doc Lisenby

We don't have a lot of bees in our area. I haven't paid a lot of
attention to who's doing the pollinating in my neighborhood, but it
seems to be a mixture of all the insects that might need pollen for chow
as even flies seem to be
attracted to the flowers. I don't know what kind of flies they are but
everyone is welcome. I understand that self pollinating trees are often
wind pollinated and those trees do produce the most fruit in my locale
even though trees that need pollination seem to bear well even if they
are quite a distance from pollen sources.

Have you thought of building a bee "house" that is made of various
caliber's of spent casings. I believe I will go down to the local gun
club and see if I can get some.

Rodney: in what used to be zone 3b but hasn't seen temps down to zero
this winter.