nafex - [NAFEX] Mason Bees

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mason Bees
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:24:41 -0500

Brucey Hansen mentioned Mason Bees as pollenizers.
I have a wasp-like critter which fills every spare hose and empty
shotgun shell and cartridge case in my shed with a white clay.
I've heard of attracting Mason Bees by providing 2x4's with holes
drilled in them for nesting sites.
Is this the same "bee" as the "Orchard Bee" which has been given credit
for being better at spreading pollen than the Honey Bee?
How they find white clay in this area which is infamous for red clay is
a mystery to me. White clay is good to eat. Maybe I can find the source
like Africans find bee nests by following "Bee Birds". :>)
The larvae make good bream bait but I don't want to destroy them if they
are beneficial to my orchard.
They are a nuisance and plug up my Oklahoma Credit Card (siphon hose)
every year. They prefer 20 gauge to 12 guage shotgun shell hulls but
will not pass up a 30/06 cartridge case.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like peaches."