nafex - [NAFEX] potted citrus in winter

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] potted citrus in winter
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:35:06 -0600

Citrus hate the heat and dry air indoors in winter. I have simply put a
plastic bag over mine before to try to keep a bit of humidity trapped in
with it. But the best my citrus trees ever did in winter was when we lived
in a house that was in a dreadful state of disrepair, the owner was simply
waiting to sell the lot which had been rezoned for biz. There was a back
bathroom with a roof that leaked and the heat really didn't get to it very
well. My citrus looked beautiful all winter in there. Right now I have a
Meyer lemon at the top of an unheated stairwell at our office, the temps
have been down around zero and I guess the stairwell must have come close to
freezing, and the lemon looks much better than it would have if it had been
in a well heated room. Unfortunately the kumquat just inside the door at
the bottom of the stairs seems to have gotten a bit too cold, the sour
orange part of the plant (a poor graft, and no I didn't do it) has dried up.
But maybe that was someone forgetting to water it while we were gone. The
kumquat part looks fine though, and that part should be some 5 or more
degrees hardier. Donna