nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GoldRush shrivelling

  • From: "Erwin Meekers" <erwin.meekers@luc.ac.be>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GoldRush shrivelling
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:17:35 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: David Ulmer
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 4:25 PM
Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples

>>Another question for you GoldRush growers - I kept my fruit in an
insulated and unheated storage area that stays between 45 and 50 >>degrees
most of the fall and winter. The GoldRush apples shriveled and lost texture
after a few weeks. Should I have refrigerated >>them?

In my experience GoldRush tends to shrivel if stored under amateur storing
conditions (that is : stored in a box, in open air). This is because
GoldRush does not make a waxy skin during storage. A waxy skin, that apples
such as Jonagold and others develop during storage, prevents them from
dehydrating. A waxy skin has the disadvantage that they become "sticky"
(they collect dirt, dust, ...).

The non-waxy skin is not a problem under professional storage conditions :
they probably get near to 100% air-humidity.

I had the same shriveling problem in the first year I harvested GoldRushes.
Next year I stored them in large plastic bags (with air-holes in the bag).
That way they don't shrivel and keep very well.

Thinning is also important to get quality in my climate (Belgium).
GoldRushes that are not adequately thinned don't tend to ripen and such
"green apples" do taste bland.