nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples
  • Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:31:56 -0500

I'm beginning to wonder if Goldrush isn't extremely variable according to environmental conditions. The ones we've gotten don't fit either of the rather divergent descriptions from Sam & Chris. Last year, we bought baskets of Goldrush from a Western North Carolina orchard from November through April and I would describe them as crisp, juicy and bland. They were neither tart nor particularly sweet- in a blind taste test, I believe I would have identified them as an Asian pear. It was the orchards first crop from very yound trees, so I figured the orchardists may have not gotten the harvest time right. I was looking forward to this year's crop, hoping they picked them at a better time- but they don't offer them this year.

Any thoughts?

Anton

Sam Franc wrote:

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

Goldrush - Since I know this is usually picked the beginning of November I believe this is too long a season for you. It otherwise is one of the best keeping apples, with only minor flaws (of course depending on your POV) of being extremely tart at picking and also having rough semi-ugly surface.

That is strange to me.
I bought 50 pounds of Goldrush for drying this fall from a local grower and they were extremely sweet.
No tartnes to any I tasted out of the bunch.
Sam