nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples

  • From: "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@vintagevirginiaapples.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:19:06 -0500

Goldrush here in Central Virginia is anything but bland. I can only wonder
if the bland "Goldrushes" aren't something else, maybe a nursery mixup. It
is tart/sweet off the tree and mellows to a more complex flavor in storage.
It is a precocious tree, bearing a few apples in the third year on MM-111
here. This original tree is now in its sixth or seventh year and we picked
about two bushels after thinning off more than that. It really does need
thinning to produce any size. I would call ours medium. I think it should
probably be kept from bearing for the first year or two in order to grow
more wood. It is such a heavy bearer, the tree needs to be larger to
support the fruit load. The flavor is so outstanding that we put in 50 or so
on M-9 which we have on a trellis for support. We shall see how this does.
These trees went in last year and survived our drought with very little
irrigation. We hope to do better this year. Goldrush is also just wonderful
in cider. Whether Goldrush will do so well for us as it apparently does in
the mid-west where the Dowds and Mitch Lynd are apparently very successful
with it, I don't know...but we hope to find out.

Charlotte Shelton
Vintage Virginia Apples LLC
P. O. Box 210
North Garden, Virginia 22959