nafex - [NAFEX] RE: another Goldrush fan

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: another Goldrush fan
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:53:04 -0500

Here in east Tenn, Zone 6, 1800 ft, Goldrush is generally good both when
picked and in storage. Quality after storage so superior to anything else
we have we store almost all. Still crunchy, sweet/tart in April under
common refrigeration. Cedar apple rust (CAR), surface fungi on fruit and
thinning are things we put up with for this apple. In years of severe CAR,
sugars can be low at harvest. In an unusually cool/cloudy year, it can be a
challenge ripening them all before heavy freezes.