nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: another Goldrush fan

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: another Goldrush fan
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 18:07:44 -0500

Hi all:

GoldRush is an excellent apple here in Michigan, Zone 5, 155 day growing season. It is too tart and hard to eat straight off the tree but is very, very good after 8 weeks of cold storage.

Granted, it may be far better from areas with longer growing seasons. But it is still better than other late season storage apples as grown in my orchard.

I am waiting for Nova Spy to fruit to see if it gives GoldRush a run for the money.

Just a note on growing days: the closest weather station is at the Lansing Airport which is on top of a peat bog. I typically get two to three more weeks of growing season than the airport. The National Weather Service rates Lansing as a 140 growing season.
--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel