nafex - [NAFEX] Was Ground cherries, now German berries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Was Ground cherries, now German berries
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:24:27 -0600

Sometime back, I was following a discussion thread over at the GardenWeb Forums on 'german berries' ; the post's originator described what, to me, sounded like a ground cherry/tomatillo type fruit, but eventually somebody came up with the following info & links:

near as we can figure out, german berries are of the hibiscus family. check out the following sites:

> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MV126
>
> http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html
>
> http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Hibiscus_sabdariffa.html
>
> http://www.echonet.org/tropicalag/plantinfo/Hibiscussabdariffa.pdf

if you want some, the seeds of that hibiscus may be ordered
http://echonet.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/SeedtoSeed.html

i'll know more about this in the fall....assuming we actually get some to grow.

Lucky

  • [NAFEX] Was Ground cherries, now German berries, Lucky Pittman, 12/20/2002