nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones

  • From: "Erwin Meekers" <erwin.meekers@luc.ac.be>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:57:26 +0100

> I'm not familiar with the term "oculation", is this what we would
> call "budding" or "bud grafting"? Do you use "chip" or "t-budding"?

That would then be t-budding.

> >pyrifolia - like Nijiseiki, Hosui, Seigyoku, etc.) and of the chinese
white
> >pear types (Pyrus bretschneideri, or do we nowadays have to say Pyrus
> >pyrifolia var sinensis? - like Tse Li and Ya Li). They are planted as
> Americans seem to avoid species names like the plague, but I've also
> seen Chinese pears refered to as Pyrus ussuriensis.

Yes, I've the impression Americans usually call them P. ussuriensis while
Asiatic botanists tend to use the name P. bretschneideri.
Some recent molecular analysis of Asian pear species suggests a different
view. In this year's Journal of the American Society for Hort. Science
researchers concluded (based on RAPD markers) that the Chinese white pears
were closely related with P. pyrifolia. That article suggested to use the
name "P. pyrifolia var. sinensis". But if we know about what we are talking,
that name doesn't matter. I just wanted to make the distinction between the
2 types, because the Chinese were not doing so well as the Japanese (in my
collection).