nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:26:45 -0800

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

I just wanted to make the distinction between the
2 types, because the Chinese were not doing so well as the >Japanese (in my
collection).

I have a Ya Li, and this past spring grafted Tsu Li (Tse Li seems to be the "newer", "more correct?" spelling) onto it.
Neither has flowered. The tree seems healthly. From what I've read, they both flower earlier than the Japanese (fewer chilling hours required for the Chinese?) and it is likely they will commonly get frosted out. I don't think the Chinese pears have caught on here besides as they look too much like European pears.

P.S. I should say "supposed" Ya Li and "supposed" Tsu Li, as I
previously grafted what I believed to be Chojuro. The tree fruited this past year and the fruit was not russeted. I suspect it is either a Shinseiki or Nijiseiki (and how I'm going to determine that, I have *no* idea).

Chris Mauchline

I have Ya Li and it just fruited this year after 10 years in the ground.
It is much like a Bartlet in shape and taste here.
Except I can eat it from the tree.
I have found that Asian pears aof all types tend to take a long time to fruit. here in Oregon coast weather.
My Niitaka took 10 years to set fruit too.
Others have not set fruit yet except Nijiseiki which fruited after 6 years.
Sam