nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:28:34 -0500

I'm not in a particularlyu cold climate, but I have grafted
many Asian pears to OHxF and I have a Bartlett tree where I
have grafted scions of Nijiseiki and Shinseiki. The only
negative I could state was that the scions grafted onto the
Bartlett have not put out much growth, but that tree in
general has not put out much growth. If you have grafting
success otherwise, but are having trouble with this, the only
other idea I can suggest is to hold the scionwood in cold
storage, and graft to the tree/rootstock after it has broken
bud. When you graft this way (I'm assuming whip & tongue
here), be sure to either completely cover the scion with wax
or parafilm or alternatively bag the graft with at plastic bag
that is then covered with a brown paper bag w/ the corners cut
out.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6