nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting Asian pears on European ones
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:04:33 -0500

>I just wanted to make the distinction between the
>2 types, because the Chinese were not doing so well as the >Japanese (in my
>collection).

I have a Ya Li, and this past spring grafted Tsu Li (Tse Li
seems to be the "newer", "more correct?" spelling) onto it.
Neither has flowered. The tree seems healthly. From what
I've read, they both flower earlier than the Japanese (fewer
chilling hours required for the Chinese?) and it is likely
they will commonly get frosted out. I don't think the Chinese
pears have caught on here besides as they look too much like
European pears.

P.S. I should say "supposed" Ya Li and "supposed" Tsu Li, as I
previously grafted what I believed to be Chojuro. The tree fruited this past
year and the fruit was not russeted. I
suspect it is either a Shinseiki or Nijiseiki (and how I'm
going to determine that, I have *no* idea).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6