nafex - [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:13:06 -0400

Rondi,
I'm not in the Ozarks, but I am in zone 6 and have clay
soil. I can warn you of one thing that "bit" me when I moved
to my new place (w/ clay) as opposed to my former location
w/out clay. Watch out for Crown rot. I can't say which
rootstocks are more resistant to this than others
however.

I have a friend in my BYFG group who has even more clay than
I, and he plants his apple trees in mounds.

I've done extensive fall planting, and in general find trees
generally do well. I do find it hard w/ the lack of hours
of sunlight to find time to move trees in the fall time frame.
I believe someone in the group has stated that as long as temps
are above freezing (and will remain so for a small while), you
can move a tree anytime during the dormant season.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6