nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests

  • From: Sam Brungardt <samis@attbi.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:41:26 -0500

On 10/7/02 6:34 PM, "Rondi" <dee@mokalive.com> wrote:

> Are there any members here that are part of the Ozark Chapter? I'm
> interested
> in knowing more
> about the group as I live in SE Kansas.
>
> Are there any suggestions as to what apple rootstock would be best here. I'm
> in zone 6 with clay
> soil. I know one older fellow that's using m111 and another using m9. I can
> see the m111 are
> taller, but that is all I know about the subject. We also have a problem
> with
> fireblight.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful as I'm planning on doing some planting come
> spring. OR should I
> be planting this fall? Our winters are mild compared to what I grew up with
> in
> Minnesota and
> would think fall planting wouldn't be all that hard. I'm considering fall
> planting because the
> older fellow I mentioned above does his bud grafting in late August and has
> good results and am
> considering doing this myself next August. I feel the extra months during
> the
> fall/winter/spring
> would give the rootstock a head start.
>
> Hey, what books and videos should I check out from the NAFEX Library?
>
> Rondi Anderson
> Pittsburg, KS
> Zone 6

> File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary files,
> plain text ONLY!
> Message archives are here:
> To view your user options go to:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX is
> YOUR email address)
> NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

Randy, I'm originally from Hays, Kan., but have lived in your home state for
more than 20 years. The first thing I'd do is go on line to Kansas State
University's Cooperative Extension Service web site, and pull off as much
info as I could about starting an apple (or other fruit, if you're so
inclined) orchard. There's a KSU bulletin on recommended cultivars also.