nafex - [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests

  • From: Rondi <dee@mokalive.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ozark chapter/midwest apple rootstock suggests
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:34:25 -0500

Are there any members here that are part of the Ozark Chapter? I'm interested
in knowing more
about the group as I live in SE Kansas.

Are there any suggestions as to what apple rootstock would be best here. I'm
in zone 6 with clay
soil. I know one older fellow that's using m111 and another using m9. I can
see the m111 are
taller, but that is all I know about the subject. We also have a problem with
fireblight.

Any suggestions would be helpful as I'm planning on doing some planting come
spring. OR should I
be planting this fall? Our winters are mild compared to what I grew up with
in Minnesota and
would think fall planting wouldn't be all that hard. I'm considering fall
planting because the
older fellow I mentioned above does his bud grafting in late August and has
good results and am
considering doing this myself next August. I feel the extra months during the
fall/winter/spring
would give the rootstock a head start.

Hey, what books and videos should I check out from the NAFEX Library?

Rondi Anderson
Pittsburg, KS
Zone 6