nafex - [NAFEX] wine to vinegar

  • From: Bob and Winnie <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex list post <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wine to vinegar
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:24:03 -0600

You're right Gordon,
Last year when the Feds were trying to come up with a standard for
"organic", the obvious thing to do was to prohibit the addition of
inorganic compounds to the product. The commercial wine industry pitched
a huge hissy fit, and ended up with the only exemption that allows them
to sell wines as organic even though they add Sodium Meta-bisulfite to
the wine. Most consumers of course assume that "organic" means no
chemicals added. Wrong.

Also Lon, the addition of refined white granulated sugar to grape wines
is common and widespread in California and elsewhere (even in Europe)
This is allowed under BATF regs with certain restrictions and is
resorted to by most wineries because even though it is very possible to
ripen the fruit sufficiently, the balance of acid to sugar is very
seldom obtained naturally and most winemakers find it much easier to
pick when the acid is perfect and then adjust the fermentables after the
fact.

bob Z4 Utah