nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions on PawPaw

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: Georger <georger@rogers.com>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions on PawPaw
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:50:54 -0400 (EDT)

George, check out the website of Ernie Grimo's nursery at
Niagara-on-the-Lake at
http://www.grimonut.com/ .
<nuttrees(at)grimonut.com>

He sells seedling pawpaws, grafted persimmons, seedling and grafted nut
trees, and many other interesting things.

I notice that he says that pawpaws are suitable from "zones 6 to 8". If
you are in Agriculture Canada zone 5a, I would not be optimistic about
your chances with pawpaws.

If you really want to experiment, you could plant a bunch of seed and see
if anything survives. You might be able to buy seed of good quality hardy
pawpaws from Ernie or from

Douglas Campbell
Campberry Farm
RR 1
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario L0S 1J0
(905) 262-4927

You might want to join the Society of Ontario Nut Growers/S.O.N.G.
http://www.songonline.ca
They provide an excellent handbook with initial three-year
memberships. I recommend it.

They have an Eastern Ontario chapter centred around Ottawa, oriented
to the hardier material:
http://ecsong.ca

Ernie Grimo, the main founder of S.O.N.G., has been working with
pawpaws, persimmons, nuts etc. for 30+ years. He is very knowledgeable
and reliable. I suspect that he has collected a lot of information
about the hardiness of pawpaws from his customers and colleagues
over the years - ask him.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada