nafex - Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:28:07 -0500

At 12:58 PM 9/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Interesting. When I worked at the NCGR in Corvallis, germinating seed, we had a real problem with getting Corylus seed to grow that had dried too much. We used hormones, strification and more and dry seed just wouldn't grow well. It had to be FRESH seed to get high germination rates.

Well, I've only tried it that one time, except for some C.colurna seeds I got a year or so ago in trade with a fellow in Hungary, in exchange for some pecan seednuts and acorns - and only ended up with one plant, out of about 20 seeds.
Of course, sometimes if you don't know something 'doesn't/won't work', you give it a try anyway and have reasonable success. Could have just been 'dumb luck'.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY