nafex - Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:51:32 -0500

At 12:46 PM 9/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
I've planted hazlenuts and you MUST plant them fresh - if they dry out they are no good.

Lon,
I've germinated hazels/filberts purchased out of the bulk bins at Wal-Mart at Christmas time. If I recall correctly, I just soaked them for a few days, then stratified in a bag of moist peat moss, buried along with all my other seednuts, out in the orchard under a large pile of leaves. By the time I dug them out in the spring, almost every one had sprouted, and it was a real hassle trying to disentangle the roots - think I ended up with one survivor out of a pint bag of nuts.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY