nafex - [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn survival and fruiting

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn survival and fruiting
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:43:53 -0400

My two experiences with this plant are that they suffer and die in rich,
moist soil (here in east TN) and seem to fruit better in poor, unirrigated
soil, such as at the Germplasm Repository in Corvallis.
I recall that Hector noted better growth in marginal soils. Hector, did you
also observe superior fruiting in marginal soil?
Some plants are adapted to fruit in dry conditions and unimproved soils;
this one may even prefer it.
Richard Moyer
East Tenn