nafex - [NAFEX] OBX Blackberries

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] OBX Blackberries
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:47:44 EDT

We know folks growing various of the thornless blackberries around the Outer Banks area - Navaho and Black Satin primarily.  These two seem to be the hardiest that we've grown - Black Satin, an older berry with a tarter flavor now in less favor, has consistently impressed us here in Va Beach with it's ability to withstand drought, flooding and brackish water.  Once established, most of the blackberries seem pretty tolerant of coastline conditions, the two requisites being irrigation and mulch, especially if you are primarily sand.  Black Satin requires more support and is a less sweet berry - Navaho is pretty A+ all the way around.  We have less info on Triple Crown, except that it is completely trailing as far as we can tell - no uprightness at all, so be prepared with good trellising.

Sybil

Paradise Nursery - Figs & Fruit Plants
Virginia Beach VA 23457

Where the wells <40' are starting to run dry.....