nafex - [NAFEX] Buffalo currants

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Buffalo currants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:39:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

Buffalo currants (Crandal) have a weeping habit, what is the best method
for keeping the canes off the ground? I have noticed that the largest
berries are usually found on the downward slope of the weeping cane.

I tried oversized tomato cages, but they are not that effective in keeping
the bushes off the ground. They do crop heavy, is it just a matter of
crop weight?

I have never seen such a twisty growth habit before. If they cannot droop
down, they pick some queer angle to twist off into.

Cannot complain about crop size or flavor. We made one of our finest
jellies this year combining Crandall, jostaberry, and Titania black
currant.

Finally, are they better off lying on the ground, in you cannot keep them
up?

Thanks,
Tom

--