nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #113 - 8 msgs

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #113 - 8 msgs
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:40:39 +0000

My experiences :

I first tried over-wintering potted trees (these happened to be apple) near the south side of a white, unheated shed. I mulched all up the sides of the pots (5-gallon buckets with many drain-holes punched out), and protected them from water/ice accumulation. In short, I "thought of everything" (didn't I ?) The next spring, one did not leaf out-- dead-- and the other gave up before summer got hot.

Next I tried over-wintering potted trees (apples & pears, on 3 & 2 different rootstocks, respectively) in an unheated part of the house. This area sees frost only during extended bitter cold, which we had that winter. All trees were fine and grew well.

Tanis Cuff, southern WI, zone 4