nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:29:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Bernie Nikolai wrote:

> A couple of things from my experience with similar grafting. Firstly 4 ft.
> is way too high to cut off the 5 inch trunk and graft. I cut them off even

Hi,

I believe that changing a tree over from one variety to another, at the 4'
height is called "top working" a tree. It is still commononly done with
various fruits.

If you graft too close to the soil line you will risk your scion rooting
on it's own. On it's own roots you will have no size control, as the
dwarfing rootstock will have been by-passed.

Just two very different approaches in grafting.

Later,
Tom