nafex - [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 20:28:51 +0000

I went yesterday to visit the old crab I had grafted over for a neighbor - and came up with a question.
Two years ago I cut off the 5" tree at 4' high, and bark grafted a number of scions; they are doing well and flexible enough to still do the braiding thing I learned from Bob Purvis. However, the old heartwood is now gray, and cracking. It was cut horizontally, just like in all the pics I have seen. Surely this is an eventual rot problem.....the rain going in the cracks, then a little rot that absosrbs more rain,... etc.
I could coat with roofing tar, but it cracks, and I would think this might eventually promote even worse rot, and would have to be able to expand with the growing sapwood a few years as well. There must be an industry standard I haven't heard of. Thanks, Del
(Thanks for all the thermometer imput too.)

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3