nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmons and transplanting

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmons and transplanting
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 23:35:36 EDT

Well, I just read that Persimmon's are difficult to transplant, which leaves
me in somewhat of a dilemma.

I transplanted a Shojatsu persimmon that I had grafted previously. It still
has yet to leaf out, but the wood remains flexible. Is there anything I can
do to help this tree along?

On a related note: I finally seemed to have learned a consistent way of
grafting persimmons correctly this spring: Bark grafting (Thanks Lucky!).
But the trees where I did the grafts are too close together and too close to
other things. The trees are over an inch in diameter at the base (though
only 5 ft tall as I've been trying to graft them for years). Is there any
possible way to transplant these successfully? Or should I just use these as
a "woodbank" and start over w/ grafting trees planted out somewhere else?

On an unrelated note: The frustration index: My Kingston Black tree seemed
to initially leaf out and then stopped. I thought it was collar rot, finally
trying to do it in.
Attempted to do an inarch graft with an excess rootstock that I had. Graft
seemed to go well, and the tree did start to push growth, whether from the
inarch or just overcoming the collar rot. Then an animal nipped halfway
throught the small rootstock. Tried to protect the rootstock. This morning
I found that the tree had blown over in one of the fairly violent storms
we've had lately. The stake the tree was tied to was snapped off. the
rootstock was also snapped off. Grrrr.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6