nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Winesap Apple

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Winesap Apple
  • Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 01:06:03 -0400

Don Yellman writes:

1. I have a copy of Stark's Spur Winesap, planted in spring, 1997.
It bloomed and bore a light crop last season, and this spring has
bloomed heavily, apparently beginning to exhibit spur characteristics.
I was beginning to wonder there for a while. Last season's apples did
not color up much, and I may haved picked them a little early. I think
I took them down the first week of October, and should have waited until
the third week. This is a late-ripening apple. I blended them in the
cider (there weren't very many), but did taste a few and they were a
little tart for my taste. Again, probably due partly to taking them
down too soon. I think they will turn out to be excellent for cider
blending, at least as good as the Stayman. And they don't have that
cracking problem of the Stayman.

Those that I ate were delicious - tart, winey, sweet/sour, juicy,
grainy flesh, skin was somewhat rough textured and thick.

2. It would surprise me if this cultivar on M7 reaches 25 feet. It
doesn't seem to be a particularly vigorous grower, but not shy either.
At any rate, you wouldn't want them that big anyway, since trees over
15 feet become very difficult to manage, and you would want to keep them

I was just guessing. Stark said about 20'. The tree I picked from is
around 20';
was planted in red clay and never had any maintenance whatsoever. During
bearing time
it was dripping with apples, large, well-developed ones with little or
no
damage from disease or insects. It would seem that this is an extremely
good apple for my region.

pruned down. But Winesap is a poor pollinator, and if you are going to
plant a block of 50 of these trees, that is an important consideration.
I am not certain whether this particular cultivar of Winesap is a
triploid, as is the Stayman Winesap, but they certainly will not
pollinate each other. You may want to consider leaving spaces in your
planting for adding a few flowering or fruiting crabs. My personal
choice would be Virginia (Hewes) Crab, which is very good for
cidermaking, but there are many others such as Whitney, or Lucky's
favorite, the Callaway. Crabs are very floriferous, and produce
abundant, viable pollen. You could also mix in a couple of a known good
pollinator such as Golden Delicious, but you wouldn't get the flower
numbers you would with crabs. I am assuming that you are planting a new
orchard, and don't have any existing apple trees nearby. If you do,
then you may not have pollination problems.

My neighbor to the South has a few apples. I called Stark for the crabs
you mentioned
and all they had left was a weeping variety. As for a Golden Delicious
type they
had Goldrush so I ordered 30 of those.

3. I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by the best exposure for
the trees. If you mean orientation of the rows, I don't think it makes
much difference. Certainly, you would not want to plant on the South
side of a line of tall trees, but the North side would be fine. If you
have a choice of sites, my preference would be for a nice, gentle, South
or Southeast slope. Morning sun is more valuable than afternoon sun,
and if the trees are shaded a little from the West, they will still do
just fine.

I have a good gradual Southeast slope to put them on, and a good
Northeast one bordered by
thick tall woods on the North side.
As I need to SoilSave, harrow and bottom plow all the good locations for
these trees
early in the Fall I have decided to plant all of them in a temporary bed
then transplant them
next Spring.

4. Depending on how much land you have available, and how much pruning
you plan to do 15 years down the road, you can space these trees on M7
at anywhere from 15 to 20 feet apart, in all directions. If you plan to

15' spacing would be ideal for my orchard. I have 6 acres, 4 of which
are
enclosed by a substantial deer fence.

go between the rows with machinery to spray or cultivate, you might want
to leave a little more space between rows, and keep the trees closer in
the rows.

I plan to leave room for a tractor with a set of hilling discs to get
between rows
to cultivate and create swales and raised beds for companion crops. This
will provide
the means to channel and conserve water and nutrients.

5. The best situation with respect to Eastern Red Cedars is not to have
any around within a mile, but I guess it would also depend somewhat on
prevailing winds, and whether or not the cedars in question are
infected. The assumption is that most of them are. I had a severe
outbreak of cedar apple rust here for two years running before I took
down a red cedar in my neighbor's yard, about 50 feet from the edge of
my orchard. Now the disease is completely gone. I know that Winesap is
susceptible to CAR; I certainly had it all over my Stayman tree, and it
ruined all the apples as well as affecting the leaves. If you have a
lot of Red Cedars closer than, say, 200-300 yards, prepare for trouble.
If you get an infection on your apple trees, it will take some pretty
strong medicine to cure it. Not just stuff you can buy at Home Depot.

I have lots of juniperus virginiana, Eastern red cedar, much of which I
deliberately planted
for windbreak and visual screening. I will probably leave all of them
and take my chances with CAR.
With 50 SW's, succeptable to CAR, planted in a variety of location, I am
likely to get at least
enough for the table. This Fall I plan to plant many other varieties
that are CAR-resistant.

6. It should not be necessary to root prune trees from Stark, unless
there are broken roots or a really oddball long root that won't fit in
the hole, nor should it be necessary to top prune much. Set the trees
so that the graft or bud union is at least 3 inches above the soil line;
it may settle some after planting. You don't want the grafted stock
coming in contact with the soil or it can root and become quite a large,
standard tree, bypassing the size-controlling effect of the rootstock.

Thanks for this excellent advice!

Do not, rpt. not mix cow manure in the planting hole. Just put back
the soil you took out. After planting, it's ok to spread manure or any
other organic materials on the surface around the trees. It will break
down slowly and feed the trees, but underground it's a killer.

I found this out from Stark today also. They even said not to put manure
on the ground around the trees for the first year of growth. Problem
with disease.

Thanks again for your extremely helpful reply.

Lawrence
Zone 7 Chapel Hill NC

--

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com