nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Winesap Apple

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Winesap Apple
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 22:13:41 -0400

Ginda Fisher wrote:

> If you have trouble pulling the archives off of Yahoo, I have almost all
> the e-mail since before we moved to Yahoo on my home computer.
> (netscape format) I'd be glad to copy the file to a CD and mail it to
> you.
>
> Ginda

Ginda, you are a lifesaver! I didn't describe the robustness of NS 4.75
in its ability to
virtually create a highly portable text archive of email messages saved
to a NS folder in the NAFEX list.
I am very familiar with using NS. I haven't tried the script Thomas
referred us to to extract the Yahoo
archives and don't know what would be involved/whether it would work/how
much trouble it would be.

Could you burn these onto a CD and mail them to me. For every Netscape
folder there will be two files:
1) A file with the same name as the folder as seen in the NS email
client, with no extension appended to it
2) A second file with the same name as the folder but with an extension
appended
(i.e. 1) = nafex 2) = nafex.snm [this file will be a small one
compared to the main one]

My address:

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
7119 Old Greensboro Rd.
Chapel Hill, N.C., 27516
Phone: 1 919 967 7878 [I have voicemail]
Cellphone: 1 919 8803836

I will load your nafex folder into Netscape and see what I can do with
it. There is some slim possibility
I can import this folder into an Agent (news reader) newsgroup or email
folder - then I can export i to a file
that is in UNIX .mbox (mailbox) format; then I can upload it to ibiblio,
run Mhonarc on it and create an indexed
sortable archive of messages (in html format) to put online in my
website or in the NAFEX website (its very portable).
An example of this Mhonarc web archive exists here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agriculture-list-archives-1999-2001/market-farming/Feb2001/maillist.html
If all else fails I can simply upload the text file half of the NS nafex
email folder to ibiblio so it can be
indexed by the big search engines and downloaded in toto by anyone
interested. The messages are concatenated
smailler files.

Many thanks again,

Lawrence

--