nafex - Re: [nafex] Pruing/Growth

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pruing/Growth
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:27:06 -0400

Tom Olenio wrote:

My question is have they isolated the
> hormone that results from the wound of pruning that spurs a
> tree to throw more branches and water sprouts?

My understanding is that the growing point produces a growth regulator
that suppress bud break. Remove the growing point and you stop
repressing the buds. Similarly, scuffing up the bark slows the movement
of the growth regulator downward and will result in the buds below the
wound breaking dormancy.

A possible experiment would be to graft known precocious apples on the
tips of your scaffold branches. Any of the prairie hardy cultivars
(Norland, Parkland, Norcue, Dolgo) will work, as will Golden Delicious
or Duchess. One of the benefits of fruit on the tip is that it will
help bend the branches down. Bernie Nikolai once wrote that you can
induce early fruiting by grafting an exceptionally long (6+ buds) scion
in a near horizontal position. It might be worth trying that with your
grafts on the tips of your scaffolds....if you choose to go down that road.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal web site: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel

Buy Stock for $4