nafex - [nafex] Pruing/Growth

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Pruing/Growth
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:41:38 -0400

Hello All,

I was wondering if I could ask some information from the
experts regarding pruning and growth.

As is I understand it, science has isolated a number of
plant hormones. Some for rooting, some for cracking seed
dormancy, etc.. My question is have they isolated the
hormone that results from the wound of pruning that spurs a
tree to throw more branches and water sprouts?

I am working under the theory that a wound produces
hormones, that inspires new branch growth.

My assumption being that if you were able to nullify
hormones at the pruning wound site, you could retard new
branching. Sort of a snip and dab chemical approach.

I will further guess that sunlight also plays a role in this
process (sunlight on a branch breaks down chemicals that
hold a branch bud in dormancy). I may have read something
about that so long ago I have forgotten about the process.

Is there anything known in this area?

Thanks,
Tom

--