nafex - Re: [nafex] salmonberry - Rubus ellipticus

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] salmonberry - Rubus ellipticus
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:49:18 +0530

I have not tasted Rubus spectablis but have tasted fruits of many other Rubus
species. None of them TASTES better than Rubus ellipticus. These fruits
have a quite high TSS content of 16.5 per cent. The total sugars are 11 per
cent and the acid is 1.47 per cent. No Rubus species to my knowledge has so
high TSS and sugar content.

The extractable juice content of the fruit by simple hand pressing is 64 per
cent. The juice has a very attractive colour and will not require any
colouring additive for processing.

This fruit can grow at places experiencing minimum winter temperature of -7
C. This fruit needs to be promoted.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
www.lesserknownplants.com

Fruits of Rubus ellipticus.