nafex - Re: [nafex] salmonberry

  • From: franc@oregonfast.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] salmonberry
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:36:24 -0800

Salmonberry grows wild all around us here on the Oregon coast.
It is an insipid berry that no one here bothers to harvest.
It is quite thorny and really is quite a weed pest.
It is spread by the birds and makes quite a nasty thicket if left to its
own devices.
I don't like brushing it out as I get scratched up a lot if not heavily
protected.
I would not recommend it al all for cultivated use.
Practically any other berry I can think of is much better.
Even Salal is much preferrable because it does not have thorns
and the foliage canbe quite pretty. A lot of people make a Salal jam
or jelly for home use or tourist sale. It is not bad fresh off the bush
either but not as good as blueberries.
Both berries are sold by some nurseries, but I fail to see why some
people will pay good money for weeds.
Sam
On 22 Mar 2002 at 18:52, ted siegan wrote:

> Has anyone had the pleasure of eating Rubus spectablis? I ate these in the
> Panhandle of Alaska a long time ago and remember them as tasty and sweet.
> Forest Farm says they are tart. Which is it? I was thinking of ordering
> some
> for Boston (zone 6)
> ted siegan

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM