nafex - [nafex] Re: A note of consern about this forum

  • From: "lostman_amiga" <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: A note of consern about this forum
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:55:14 -0000

Well, I have often found the archived information on here to be very
useful. I usually do word searches of a fruit on here. There is alot
of chatting that come up, but the chat/info ratio is quite good on
here. Maybe I am valuing this froum a bit to much as a information
resource, but I guess I am like that. I seem to collect everyrthing
else at home :) I think maybe be the fact that I am still new at this
fruit growing, and I hunger for all kinds of information on the
subject. Until I get a good library togather, I will value this forum
......maybe more than I should.

--- In nafex@y..., "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@v...> wrote:
> I think the points Mr. Miller raises speak to the heart of this
issue. This
> chat line and the NAFEX website serve different if related
functions.
> Moreover, does anyone believe that a complete archive of the chat
line would
> serve any real purpose? It facilitates communications among
interested
> people with often related interests and occasionally useful
> information relative to growing fruit and this exchange serves a
useful
> purpose in itself, but toextract the useful from the plethora of
chatter
> would require considerable editing and indexing in my opinion and
we would
> be better served to pursue the enhancement of the NAFEX website by
other
> endeavors. Perhaps some of us interested in this could summarize
some of
> the more useful discussions and submit that to Pomona, which could
be
> archived, and in any event, every member would have a copy to
preserve or
> not as they wished.
> The Board of NAFEX has discussed ways to improve the website and is
> dedicated to doing just that, but I fail to see how hosting the chat
line
> would serve that purpose well.. The resources available to the
> organization, as I am sure all of you who are members of NAFEX and
follow
> its proceedings are aware, are limited. Constructive suggestions
would
> certainly be welcomed, I am sure.
>
> Charlotte Shelton
> Secretary, NAFEX
>
> Vintage Virginia Apples, LLC
> P. O. Box 210
> North Garden, Virginia 22959
> 434.297.2326
> www.vintagevirginiaapples.com

Could
> [...]
talking
> about
> > discussion groups where members post messages to web-based
discussion
> > threads, that are then accessed through that web page.
> >
> > Email offers the following advantages:
> > 1. No need to frequently check the web page to see what messages
have
> been
> > updated. Messages automatically come to you.
> > 2. Easy ability to store select messages in an email archive.
> > 3. Messages can be downloaded and read later while not connected.
> > 4. More user-friendly for dial-up users (like me) where the time
spent
> > pages for each post is much slower than viewing in email.
> >
> > There are advantages to web based message boards
> > 1. Searchable for past articles, including before the readers
> subscription. (However,
> > my archive of saved email messages is also available.)
> > 2. Sorted by collapsable threads (although only to the extent
that
> message headers
> > are responses and not new topics.)
> >
> > As far as the nuts and bolts, I don't know what software or server
> configuration is
> > necessary for a web based discussion group, or what costs are
involved.
> (This list
> > is FREE.) So I will have to defer to others about the difficulty
of
> setting up a web-
> > based discussion list and or paying for it. (As an aside, if it
does
> involve costs, I
> > think there are problems with expecting NAFEX to pick up the tab,
since
> the list has
> > members who are not NAFEX members, and many members who do not
participate
> > in this list.)
> >
> > As Tom correctly notes, the final call on this one is up to the
board,
> some of which
> > are members of this list. Perhaps a motivated and generous
benefactor
> could
> > handle any associated expenses. And it sounds like we have a
volunteer to
> do the
> > ground work necessary to get it up and keep it running.
> >
> > Even after this gets resolved in the near term, I somehow get the
feeling
> that it will
> > be much less than an ice age before this issue comes up again.
> >
> > Greg Miller
> > (Stealth-mode) list administrator
> > Spokane, WA
> > Zone 6

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM