nafex - [nafex] Re: Looking for European plum recommendation

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Looking for European plum recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:21:10 -0000

>From what I've researched D'Agen is not freestone. Is this correct?

Is Mt. Royal freestone or cling?

Is Pearl freestone or cling? (Although it sounds quite brown rot
susceptible).

One thing that I'm thinking is that the prunes would have to be split
to easily go into the food drier, and freestone would be an advantage
in that case.

Does anyone have any other recommendations, and is scionwood
available by anyone?

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@h...> wrote:
> I had Pearl for several years, until it died back. Of all the
plums I've
> had, it was the worst for disease here in Oregon, where plums can
usually go
> unsprayed. So much of the fruit rotted I rarely got more than a
taste, and
> those were stringy and not that great. I personally prefer the old
Prune
> D'Agen for sweet, tasty fruit and reliable production. Mt. Royal
has
> actually been quite good here, though.
> -Lon Rombough

> >From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@a...>
> >To: nafex@y...
> >Subject: Re: [nafex] Looking for European plum recommendation
> >Date: Tue, Oct 16, 2001, 2:19 PM
> >

> > Mt. Royal may be a better choice is disease resistance (sl.
brown rot)