nafex - Re: [nafex] Looking for European plum recommendation

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Looking for European plum recommendation
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:19:41 -0400

Christopher Mauchline wrote:

> My Stanley plum died this summer due to (I believe) delayed
> transplanting shock. I would like to replace it, but am wondering
> whether I should get another Stanley or whether someone has another
> recommendation. I am looking for a plum that can be used for fresh
> eating and could be dried (in a food drier). Is Stanley still the
> best bet?

My response--------

Mt. Royal may be a better choice is disease resistance (sl. brown rot)
is a priority. Otherwise, Pearl is an excellent choice but will need
control for brown rot during a moderate-to-heavy wet spring time and early
summer. Dead ripe, Pearl is similar in flavor to ripe apricot.

You wrote-----------

> I have an "Early Laxton" that I have not yet transplanted out from
> its nursery bed. Any thoughts on this variety would be appreciated.
>
> (In Japanese plums I have Purple Heart and Elephant Heart. Both
> flowered for the first time last year, but only the Purple Heart set
> any fruit.)

My response--------

Since both are J. salicina (Japanese) types, it could be that Ele. Heart
can't accept pollen from Purple Heart, but I'd give both another year
prior to accessing another for pollination purpose.

Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Indiana, still blissfully heaven-like