nafex - Re: [nafex] Looking for European plum recommendation

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Looking for European plum recommendation
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:53:30 -0400

Ed and Ginda,
The Dester plum has shown no sign of brown rot for the three years I've grown
it. Brown rot used to be a severe annual problem during all the years I tried
to grow Sungold and Moongold apricots on seedling rootstock. Now that I've
switched
to Puget Gold on St. Julian -A I rarely seen brown rot except on peaches and
plums that have dropped or have been allowed to remain on the trees too long
(and I'm not even sure that the rot I see in those cases is, in fact, Brown
Rot, as the trees
themselves manifest no symptoms.) Several clients of mine have trees infected
with black knot, but I have never seen it in my own orchard. Though religious
with cover sprays (Captan being the fungicide of choice after bloom) through
the month of June, I then usually cease all sprays except in unusually wet
years (and this year I tried thinning with Carbaryl in June.) July, August
and September are historically quite droughty here, this year probably being
the worst of the last fifteen: perhaps that's why BR
isn't too big an issue here. Incidentally, Gouldsboro is hardly a "very
northern locale." We are only a third of the way up the state of Maine: two
thirds of the state exist to the north of us, and a large portion falls in
Zone 3. We are in Zone 5 - and count our blessings.
Best regards,
Richard