nafex - [nafex] Re: liberty apple

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: liberty apple
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 02:47:38 -0000

It was written:

Help-
I' ve waited 5 yrs. for this liberty and find I can't take the
tartness. The books says to let it mellow a while. How long I wonder
& where? In the fridge or a cool cellar or room temp. Any help would
be appreciated. It sure doesn't taste like it's daddy and it isn't
problem free either. Almost every apple has a large blister spot.
Anyone know how to prevent this? I really should not complain as it
is free from most other diseases.

My reply:

Hmmm...okay my generous mentors(thanks Ed, Tom)passed on this sage
piece of wisdom...fluffy they said "the fruit of apple trees don't
really take on the flavor characteristic of the cultivar until they
have fruited for 4-5 seasons."

In other words if you waited 5 years for a tree to fruit you night
just as well wait another 4-5 years to make sure you don't really
like it. In addition flavor varies immensely from year to year as
environmental impacts are not inconsequential on quality or flavor.

I suppose before I yanked a tree I would graft on another branch of
Liberty from another source in order to compare the two.

Wishing you the best,

the fluffy bunny

nana korobi ya oki

Monitoring Service trial