nafex - [nafex] Gala (was Re: liberty apple)

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Gala (was Re: liberty apple)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:02:56 -0000

In defense of Gala, I've tasted both tree-ripened and many store
bought and found most of them to be very good. It is sweet, but I
like sweet apples (tart are good too). I believe Gala is descended
from Yellow Delicious, and (IMO) has many of it's characteristics.
Gala is (usually) slightly crisper, but I wouldn't describe either as
particularly "crisp". But especially in the case of yellow del. even
when over the hill, and have started to wrinkle, they don't commit
the "sin" of becoming mealy. Which I why I generally avoid Macs as
almost every one I've ever tasted has been that way.

Is Empire "mac-like"? (I thought it was related). If so, it's one
apple in the Mac family that I like as it generally is crisp.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Ginda Fisher <ginda@c...> wrote:
> I guess it depends what you like. I've had both store-bought and
> pick-your-own Liberties, and I think it's a fine apple. A nice,
rich
> Mac type flavor (slightly different aromatics, but nice) that keeps
> little better than a Mac. They do tend to be on the small side.
I've
> only had store bought Galas, and was very unimpressed. Sweet, but
> oh-so-bland. But then, I like a tart apple. De gustibus non
> disputandum (or something like that).
>
> I'm in New England, where the Mac is the default apple.
>
> Ginda
>
> applehilorchard@w... wrote:
> >
> > I've pulled out all but 10 liberty trees as they can't compete
with
> > Gala, Golden Supreme, Senshu, our NY75414 is a Mac type like
Liberty but
> > MUCH BETTER TASTING. Libertys drop badly even with NAA, have
small size
> > even when thinned, not a problem with NY 75414. There are much
better
> > apples out there in the same season, APPLE HILL ORCHARD is in west
> > central Illlinois

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting
was large).

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY