nafex - [nafex] re: disappointing yorks

  • From: Bob and Winnie <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex chat <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] re: disappointing yorks
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:31:05 -0600

I have bought seedling stock from Bear Creek but mostly have brought
roots down from the canyons here and also started many from seeds of
local plants. (the seeds of the natives sell for $40.00/lb here)
The natives ripen about one to two months after the Yorks but stay on
the bush much longer, enabling them to get frosted. Last year I picked
some in late Nov with snow on the ground and made a luscious late
harvest wine that sold out in one day at $30/bottle!
It certainly is worth a try to freeze them after picking, but I suspect
that the ripening process is pretty complicated and it most likely
wouldn't work right.
The best use for the Yorks for me is to pitch them in with the rosehip
wine to give some extra color (against federal regs. ha ha)

From: "Robert H." <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>

What are you sources for the native elderberry?
When do the natives ripen? The Yorks are ready now.
Do you think freezing them after they are picked would help?