nafex - Re: [nafex] Evans Cherry

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Evans Cherry
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 23:22:56 -0400 (EDT)

Sounds good Del, but it would take massive effort. Dr. Evans finds over 90%
of the seedlings are exceedling small and spindly. No way you could graft
on them after a year as they would be 2 or 3 inches tall and as thin as
darning needles. You can buy Evans as Bali from Bill McKentley in New York.
You would save tons of time and aggrivation by just buying a few trees.
Even if on Maheleb or Mazzard, just plant them deeper and they should
develope roots. Or plant them horizontally as if you were stooling apple
rootstocks and many of the Evans branches will self root under the
soil/sawdust. Just trying to save you a lot of time and effort...A very few
of the seedlings, say well below 10%, do produce a decent sized tree/bush.
They have all to date proven far less hardy and less tasty than the parent.
So your idea will work if you have lots of time and lots of patience. But
it would be a several year project from seeds to self rooted Evans.
Bernie

At 12:17 PM 8/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Bernie, If I could acquire a sack of evans seeds, propagate them, and graft
>onto them the next year....then plant the sucessful grafts so they top
>root....would'nt it solve compatability and root stock questions as well as
>save me the costs of buying less then hardy rootstock.. I dont have access
>to tissue culturing, or root suckers.
>Thanks, Del
>

>>From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
>.
>>It may be okay to have it grafted on Mahaleb or Mazzard. It hasn't been
>>tried up here as those two rootstocks would not normally be considered
>>hardy
>>in zone 3. We just get tissue cultured plants or dig up root suckers.
>>Evans grafts readily, but seems to invariably die over the winter unless
>>its
>>on its own roots.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!