nafex - Re: [nafex] Evans Cherry

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Evans Cherry
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:17:06 +0000

Bernie, If I could acquire a sack of evans seeds, propagate them, and graft
onto them the next year....then plant the sucessful grafts so they top
root....would'nt it solve compatability and root stock questions as well as
save me the costs of buying less then hardy rootstock.. I dont have access
to tissue culturing, or root suckers.
Thanks, Del

.
>It may be okay to have it grafted on Mahaleb or Mazzard. It hasn't been
>tried up here as those two rootstocks would not normally be considered
>hardy
>in zone 3. We just get tissue cultured plants or dig up root suckers.
>Evans grafts readily, but seems to invariably die over the winter unless
>its
>on its own roots.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!