nafex - [nafex] Re: low acid apple

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: low acid apple
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:25:09 -0000

My first impression was Lodi also, due to the color and the blandness
of the yellow ones. I personally like green Lodi apples eaten fresh,
when they have a bit of tartness and texture to them.
We used to eat green apples with salt when I was a young boy despite
my mother's warning that the salt was a bad idea. They sure were good
though, these days I have to agree with my mother about the salt.

Kevin B

--- In nafex@y..., "David Doud" <doudone@n...> wrote:
> Possibly 'Lodi' - an 'improved' Transparent introduced because it's
slightly
> earlier and bigger - tip-off is that it didn't lose its shape in
cooking -
> Transparent cooks into a very smooth sauce quickly - Lodi does not
and is
> therefore a source of dissapointment to people when misrepresented
as
> Transparent -

myself.
> Another
> > nice thing about it is that it's coming on during that lull
between the
> > early and the late apples. I don't see any CAR on the tree, not
that that
> > means much in town. They do have some apple maggot, which
surprises me,
> > because though I do find them here, I don't notice them all that
often. I
> > wonder, do they tend to hit only apples from a certain time of
year, or
> can
> > they get all varieties from early to late? I don't see any
codling moth,
> > but that too is hit or miss here. Mostly hits, but not always.
> > Does anyone have any clues as to what variety it might be?
One thing
> > peculiar about it is that not only are some of the fruit
flattish, but the
> > concave area on the bottom is large, and the lower curve up to
the cavity
> > more of a corner than a curve. Donna TN z6
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!