nafex - [nafex] Jelly Cone

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Jelly Cone
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:05:40 -0400

For Tom Olenio:

Tom: Have you ever come across a jelly cone --- a perforated aluminum
cone which is placed on a tripod stand, and operated by a hefty wooden
pestle? I have had one for a number of years, and after I tried it,
dropped cheesecloth and jelly bags entirely. The cones are widely
available in local Co-op stores here, and several garden/kitchen
equipment catalogs. Don't know about N. of the border, but I would
expect them to be available there as well. Cost runs about $19 USD,
which is probably more than it is worth, but it is a well-made unit that
will last for years to come. If you use the pestle firmly, you get a
little bit of pulp in the juice, which we consider a plus as we do not
strive for crystal-clear jellies, just flavorful ones.

Of course you have to heat the berries (just to boiling) to get the
juices flowing, but after that you can pestle the results down to a dry
residue, then dump it out. We use the cone for jellymaking with grapes,
raspberries and blackberries. You can use the jelly cone right on the
kitchen countertop with a minumum of mess. I would expect using a home
built mini-press, even of good design, to be a fairly messy operation,
and I think you would still want to heat the berries to remove the
maximum amout of juice.

Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA