nafex - Re: [nafex] Jelly Cone

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Jelly Cone
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:00:39 -0400

Tom, My recipe calls for cooking first. I used an old "Joy of
Cooking". Crush enough currants that the bottom of the pot is wet, and
heat gently (berries, stems, and all) for 5 minutes. Then increase the
heat to moderate, and continue cooking until the fruit is soft and
colorless. I don't remember if it boils, but the cell walls break open,
allowing the juice to flow. The color change is the result of the cells
breaking down. Then I strain the mess through cheese cloth draped over
a big sieve. If you wet the cheese cloth first, it doesn't absorb too
much juice. (If you don't, it does - the difference is pretty
obvious.) I've never tried a fine steel strainer, but that would
probably work fine, too. Pressing the goo with the back of a large
spoon extracts a little extra juice but yields cloudier jelly. (I
always do it, but keep the last bit in a separate batch, as I enjoy the
beautiful clear ruby red of the jelly.)

I cooked the juice up with a little less sugar (by volume) than juice.
I have found that red currants jell very nicely with no added pectin -
if fact, if you cook the jelly too far it cools to be quite stiff. I
have no idea if the pectin is in the skin, the pulp, the juice, or the
stems, but after cooking, it certainly gets into the juice.

Ginda Fisher