nafex - Re: [nafex] Jelly Cone

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Jelly Cone
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I used one of those strainers, but the recipe called for the currants to
be crushed and strained before cooking.

Guess I should have cooked them first as you suggest, as crushing them raw
gets out very little juice.

Quick question... Where is the pectin in currants to be found? The meat
of the berry or in the skin of the berry?

I only added back half of the pulp, and to be safe half a bag small box of
pectin to the cooked jelly. Hope it sets up properly.

Last question... Do Crandall currants contain as much pectin as regular
black currants?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Don Yellman wrote:

> For Tom Olenio:
>
> Tom: Have you ever come across a jelly cone --- a perforated aluminum
> cone which is placed on a tripod stand, and operated by a hefty wooden
> pestle? I have had one for a number of years, and after I tried it,
> dropped cheesecloth and jelly bags entirely. The cones are widely
> available in local Co-op stores here, and several garden/kitchen
> equipment catalogs. Don't know about N. of the border, but I would
> expect them to be available there as well. Cost runs about $19 USD,
> which is probably more than it is worth, but it is a well-made unit that
> will last for years to come. If you use the pestle firmly, you get a
> little bit of pulp in the juice, which we consider a plus as we do not
> strive for crystal-clear jellies, just flavorful ones.
>
> Of course you have to heat the berries (just to boiling) to get the
> juices flowing, but after that you can pestle the results down to a dry
> residue, then dump it out. We use the cone for jellymaking with grapes,
> raspberries and blackberries. You can use the jelly cone right on the
> kitchen countertop with a minumum of mess. I would expect using a home
> built mini-press, even of good design, to be a fairly messy operation,
> and I think you would still want to heat the berries to remove the
> maximum amout of juice.
>
> Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

The Nissan Sentra
Everything but compact